Clitheroe Ramblers

Working for Walkers

Footpath Work

Due to retirement and illness we are down on footpath officers for the Ribble Valley and are presently searching for four new officers. If you can help in the Mellor area and the Grindleton / Sawley area in particular, we would dearly like to hear from you. Footpath Officers respond to reports of a footpath problem, in their designated parishes, by examining the fault, taking a photograph, and sending in a footpath problem report to LCC. We can give training on how to do this, so if you can help please get in touch with This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Sending in these reports is particularly important as Clitheroe Ramblers are now registered under the Local Delivery Scheme for repairing footpath problems. Lancashire County Council, having received a report in one of our parishes will prioritise them, and offer out repair work to our group. So to keep us active we need a regular supply of reports submitted in order to improve our footpath network.

The easiest way to report a footpath problem is to use the LCC ‘report a highway fault’ system on the front page of the website, .  Otherwise please contact the Footpath Secretary Ian Nicol, email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Local Delivery Scheme. This is not now allowing us to do any work other than vegetation clearance this year. Our maintenance team will not be allowed to carry out any stile, gate or signpost maintenance, so we can expect further deterioration in our footpaths. We will be seeking advice from headquarters on this situation. We still request that faults are logged and reported on the LCC ‘Report a Highway Fault’ system, but please stress if there is danger to the public so the report does not get buried in the massive backlog.

Clitheroe Ramblers undertaking some footpath maintenance work.